On behalf of St Peter’s Cathedral Parish, it is a joy and privilege to welcome the Icon of Mary Mother of Perpetual Help to be with us. in these days. In 1866, Pope Pius IX entrusted this Icon to the Redemptorists and by it the promotion of devotion to Mary as Mother of Perpetual Help. In the same year this Cathedral Church was opened and dedicated as a place of worship and devotion . As we celebrate the 150 years of prayer in this building, and fidelity as a parish community which includes the Redemptorist Community at Clonard, we gaze on this beautiful Icon, in it we see Mary as Mother pointing us to her Son. May the presence of this Icon in our midst and by Mary’s intercession as our Mother of Help, lead us and all who visit the Cathedral in these days to sincere prayer and love of her Son.
Very Rev Dr. Hugh P. Kennedy, D.D, Adm